Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Plan

Here are the steps I need to take to perform a 'sweep'. I'll record the actual results and evaluate whether this method is worth pursuing further.

First of all, my goal with working is to be effective AND efficient. I want to be good and fast. So, this is my guiding star for finding the best work methods.

This 'sweep' method is essentially an assembly line style of working. The main difference, however, is that assembly lines have interchangeable parts whereas drawings are (of course) unique, individual snowflakes. However, I can still get close to an assembly line sweep by drawing the same character consecutively rather than switching to a different object; in other words I think the most efficient way to draw is ultimately drawing on object in every panel that object is present before drawing another object.

What I'd like to end up doing is becoming so familiar with a character that I only have to draw a quick outline of the character pose in the storyboard stage and being able to draw a finished drawing from that. With this method I am skipping the middle stage of drawing a detailed character sketch and tracing over it, which is time consuming. I can't quite do this yet, as I don't understand the characters 100%. Also, my rendering needs work. I'll explain what I mean in another post.

Therefore, I want to try slowly phasing out the detailed sketch over the course of the 65 pages. I'll start by drawing and tracing 16.25 of the pages, and eliminate some of the process in the subsequent quarters.

Here's the plan: Draw detailed sketches of Roland for 16-17 pages. During this time, watch carefully and record the observations made while drawing and inking. I want to sniff out any problem areas I'm having with rendering and redrawing. I also want to find potential areas to omit for the next 16 drawings. After I'm done with Roland, I'll move on to Amber.

No comments:

Post a Comment