Friday, November 12, 2010

Akira Toriyama's Influence

An English translation of Akira Toriyama's recent one shot Kintoki came out today and I got to read it. It feels just like all his other works... which is good and bad. But since this post is mainly about my finished page, I'll only mention how his drawing style effected mine. His linework is simple and fairly thick which leads to a clear silhouette; I used this method at one time with speedy results and I adopted it again today and had great success.

I finished page 52 today, which is probably the simplest page in the story. It gave me a chance to do a little bit of everything. I got to 'stretch my muscles' so to speak and I was able to get a feel for the way an entire page is worked out in Manga Studio.

Here's a breakdown of today's observations:

Switching tasks when listening to something. My brain tends to go into autopilot while I listen to music or podcasts. I am able to focus on drawing forms and line quality, but not correct construction in most cases. It's especially hard to shift from this 'relaxed' focus to a more focused state that involves evaluating a situation. In other words, I don't like to stop coasting when subconsciously I know I should.

What are the types of things I usually have to switch to? Backgrounds, props, and unfamiliar characters. For instance, today I had to draw the interior of a car.

As a related observation, I need to spend time gathering references and practice drawing them myself... BEFORE I start working on final drawings.

With a 3/4 view of the head, be sure and remember to space the facing eye away from the nose more than you think is natural.

With larger shapes, use thicker lines (especially since you're not using much toner). And, when you do use thicker lines, actually increase the line weight rather than going over the same line 2 or 3 times.

No comments:

Post a Comment